Re: questions on PseudoColor 8-bit support on 4.2.0

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Wojciech Bialas wrote:

>Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 09:02:29 +0100 (CET)
>From: Wojciech Bialas <Wojciech.Bialas@cern.ch>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: questions on PseudoColor 8-bit support on 4.2.0
>

>Hello All,
>
>I have forgot to ask for another thing :
>Is there a tool to see how many colors where
>taken from default colormap ?

XFree86 4.2.0 does not have a way of preventing RENDER from
assimilating the 8 bit color map.  This is a bug which makes 8bit
depth mostly useless, however the reason it won't be fixed until
4.3.0 is basically that any application that demands 8bit depth
is really broken as designed, and that there is a viable
workaround of using 8+24 overlay on hardware that supports it, or
possibly using Xnest.

If someone is direly interested in 4.2.0 getting fixed also
however, and is willing to locate the fixes in CVS, backport them
to 4.2.0 and test them, I can consider including them in an
erratum perhaps, although it isn't a high priority for me to do
personally.

HTH