Re: what happened ?! (upgraded to XFree86-4.2.99.2-0.20021122.2)

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Mario Mikocevic wrote:

>well, I'm rawhide (l)user and previously I had installation of _last_
>rawhide preCVS XFree86 (without date in rev number).

Keep in mind, this is not even alpha code let alone beta code of
XFree86.  It is highly developmental, and very much changing
every day.  Users who require a stable system should stick with
the currently supported Red Hat Linux 8.0 XFree86 release, and
should not be using rawhide packages.

>After upgrading to XFree86-4.2.99.2-0.20021122.2 problems arise ->
>
> - I lost those _beautyfull_ fonts

Run ldconfig

> - exiting xlock :
>% xlock -mode pyro
>Radeon DRI driver:
>        Compatibility mode for DRM driver version 1.1.1
>        TCL will be disabled, expect reduced performance
>        (prefer DRM radeon.o 1.3.x or newer)

You need newer kernel DRM, which is present in the rawhide
kernel.

> - all those nice GL demos stopped working
>   (for example from http://rss_glx.sourceforge.net/)

Again, it is developmental code, not intended for general purpose
usage yet.  There are various issues that will be resolved over
time.  Stick with 4.2.0 for now if you need stability.  Of course
we're always happy to get feedback about problems if you are
indeed beta testing it.  Things should be less bumpy in another
month or so.

Hope this helps,
TTYL