Re: Question for Mr. Harris on the XFree86-4.1.0-25 errata...UpgradingRH 7.1

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, scott Lee wrote:

>Thanks for your tip on using up2date. The command dumped approc 130 *.hdr
>files in /var/spool/up2date.  Is this a normal behavior?  Does all these
>packages gets installed?
>
>I issued the command below but ran into problems with dependencies. I have a
>dell 1400 mother board capable of 2 cpu but only have one installed. I
>downloaded kernel-smp-2.4.18-18.7.x and it still complains.
>I don't know what I am doing wrong.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks
>Scott
>

>[root@ /root]# up2date -iu

Those two options are orthagonal.  -i is "install" as in "install
the software packages that are not currently installed that I
specify on the command line" - but you haven't specified any.

-u alone means "update everything on my system to the currently
released versions, except packages marked for skipping"

Specifying both of these options together makes no sense.  You
might want to consider using the GUI instead by just typing
up2date and following the wizard.

The kernel packages by default are skipped purposefully unless
you reconfigure up2date to not skip them.  This is a safety
precaution, as the kernel is a very critical part of the system,
and many systems out there do not want to receive kernel updates
unknowingly and then reboot to find out that custom kernel
modules they've installed no longer are present, etc.

To update a kernel, either use the GUI, or reconfigure up2date
for automatic kernel updating (not recommended for reasons
above), or use the "-f" commandline switch and specify the kernel
package names to upgrade.

ie:  up2date -f kernel kernel-smp

Hope this helps.
TTYL

P.S.  2 requests..
      1) Could you please reply to messages underneath the text
         of the message you are replying to, instead of on top of
         the message.
      2) Could you please trim the quoted reply down to remove
         any information in the quote that is not essential to
         establish context with what you're replying too.  Or
         alternatively, just reply with no quoting.

Thanks.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer