i830 support?

On 15 Aug 2002, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

>MAH> Updating the entire XFree86 src.rpm to CVS however is
>MAH> non-trivial.
>
>As I found out.  For example, the 4.2.0 RPM builds a separate driver
>for the i830 while CVS builds everything into the 810 driver.

I haven't built CVS yet, just used some patches from it (I
reverted the PCI domains code and other things) in rawhide.

I haven't seen a separate i830 driver yet personally though
unless that is a change that occured recently.

>MAH> Only if the driver still retains compatibility at the source
>MAH> level with the existing X server.  Most XFree86 CVS driver code
>MAH> currently uses the new PCI domains code, and would thus be
>MAH> incompatible with 4.2.0.
>
>I found that out as well.  However, I did try doing a bulk copy of
>everything in xc/exports along with the XFree binary and, lo and
>behold, it works.  Sort of; I still need an external program to tweak
>a bit in the graphics controller before X will start.  Oh, and I need
>the absolute latest Rawhide kernel as well because the AGP support
>changed.
>
>Hopefully the released code will catch up with this hardware soon.

Rawhide XFree86 contains backported parts of the CVS i810 driver.

Until XFree86 4.3.0 is released officially, and we do a full
bugfix/stabilization cycle, things will have to wait.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,