Radeon and Rage 128 VT switch bug finally squashed

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Alex Deucher wrote:

>Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 07:36:11 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Alex Deucher <agd5f@yahoo.com>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Radeon and Rage 128 VT switch bug finally squashed
>
>have you forwarded your fix to Xfree or DRI for inclusion/testing?

It is not "my fix".  It was C.P. Botha's fix (for Radeon) as
indicated in the message you quoted.  I made a patch to the r128
driver to do the same.

Make no mistake:  *ALL* Red Hat XFree86 patches are *ALWAYS* sent
upstream to XFree86.org and/or the DRI project.  If you see a
patch in Red Hat Linux, and do not see it in XFree86.org sources
or CVS tree's, then XFree86.org generally has not applied it to
CVS for whatever their reasons.

Sending patches to XFree86.org often results in them sitting
there in a patch queue for 8-12 months. They are very busy people
and do not have time to go over every patch as it is received as
they come in, and commit them to CVS.

However, regardless of the reasoning, it does not stimulate one
to rush to submit patches immediately either.  Normally, I submit
a group of patches all at once to XFree86.org.  I don't see the
difference between submitting 1 patch at a time that will sit
there for 6 months untouched, and waiting 6 months and submitting
85 patches at once.  Patches which are of much greater
importance, are usually sent immediately.

The DRI project is different in this regard though, and since
their focus is much narrower, changes sent to DRI folk, tend to
get incorporated much quicker, discussed on mailing lists, etc.

Whenever possible, I like to send patches to DRI developers
instead, as they are likely to get included in CVS earlier that
way, and then get picked up by XFree86.org during DRI merge.
This also relieves XFree86 developers from the extra workload.

Also, fortunately, I now have DRI CVS write priveledge, so I can
commit changes like this myself to DRI-CVS.

Hope this clarifies everything.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,