Update Management

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 12:27:48 -0500
>From: Thomas Dodd <ted@cypress.com>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Update Management
>

>Mike A. Harris wrote:

>>>Aren't they part of XFree86, and X11R6?
>>>

>>No, and no.  They never have been part of XFree86, however in
>>Red Hat Linux 7.1 and 7.2 the fonts were merged into our XFree86
>>packaging.  They were split back out for 7.3 for my own reasons.
>>They are now removed permanently.
>>
>Were they replaced by something else then?

No.  If something else existed, then it most likely would have
been also included in the distribution already.

>Are we loosing popular fonts, or are we loosing fonts
>that were seldom used?

If you don't notice, then the latter.  If you do, then the
former.  Either way, it is completely irrelevant.  We didn't just
wake up and say "lets remove fonts and piss everyone off".  We
removed fonts that we had to remove.  It was not something that
was an option to decide.

>We really need a new font type. One with the look
>of TrueType but without patent restrictions.

I really can't see how that can be accomplished.  Truetype is not
the problem.  The specific method of hinting truetype fonts and
using a bytecode interpreter is what is patented.  You could do
the same thing with any font type, and it would still potentially
be impacted by Apple's patents (assuming they are actually
valid).

>Some topagraphy shop need to come up with the format,
>and a nice set of free fonts to get every one to switch.

Again, it isn't a font file format that is the problem.  Read the
exact patents apple has.

>Havoc mentioned some work on better free fonts,
>but they will have the same old TrueType problems.

Indeed.  The solution for now at least, is to recompile freetype
with the interpreter enabled (convenient %define in the spec
file).

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,