Geforce4 MX420 under rh7.3

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, Michael Fratoni wrote:

> If you've registered for Red Hat network, updating both should be trivial.
> You'll need to check the configuration for up2date, as by default the
> kernel updates are ignored. 'up2date --configure --nox' should do the
> trick.
>
> Once properly configured, run 'up2date -u kernel kernel-source'
>
> Or, grab the updated rpms, and
> rpm -ivh kernel-2.4.18-5.?.rpm (Where ? is your arch)
> rpm -Uvh kernel-source-2.4.18-5.i386.rpm
>
> NOTE: You do not want to use the -U flag to upgrade the kernel. Using the
> - -i flag installs the new kernel alongside your current kernel, leaving a
> fail safe kernel to fall back on.
>
> The kernel rpm will add the new kernel to grub if you are using that as
> your boot loader. If you are using lilo, I believe you have to add the
> new kernel to /etc/lilo.conf, and then run 'lilo -v'

I have registered but baulked at using up2date on the command line.
Thanks for the explicit instructions.  I take it that if I use up2date
instead of manually downloading and installing I don't have to make the
changes to lilo myself? (ie up2date updates and reconfigures lilo)

Thanks.

Graeme Robinson - Graenet consulting
www.graenet.com - internet solutions