an XFree86 4.2.0 problem with trident TGUI9680

On Sat, 15 Jun 2002, Tsvetan Stoyanov wrote:

>Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 15:35:59 -0400
>From: Tsvetan Stoyanov <stoyanov@mindspring.com>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Cc: alex_ki@hotmail.com
>Subject: an XFree86 4.2.0  problem with trident TGUI9680
>
>Hi,
>
>I have a problem with XFree86 on Redhat 7.3, more specifically with
>my video card Trident TGUI9680-1. In addition, I have a CTX 1451C 15in
>monitor
>an a serial Microsoft 2.1A mouse. Here is the (rather long) story:
>
>Installed new Redhat 7.3, configured averithing as in the earlier 7.1,
>which used to work flawlessly. I have a  X won't start by any means, startx
>gives a flicker and then the screen freezes, Ctrl-Alt-Break, Ctrl-Alt-+,
>etc.
>do not work but the machine is otherwise accessible ver the LAN.
>Tried Xconfigurator and below is XF86Config-4 produced by it.
>Also, an excerpt from /var/log/XFree86.0.log is included below.
>Someone suggested it might be a mouse problem.
>I checked /var/log/messages and there are no mouse
>related ones. I think it is more likely that TGUI96xx, new trident driver
>that comes with XFree86 4.2.0, it the source. At the end of XFree86.0.log it
>gives
>"Trident: BitBLT engine time-out." messages. Here is another reference for
>the same
>problem with the same card:
>
>Any help is highly appreciated,
>Tsvetan

There are some issues with 4.2.0 and Trident hardware.  Alan
Hourihane has a newer Trident driver on his XFree86 pages which
you might want to try.  I don't have the URL handy, but I believe
it is http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh or somesuch.  If you query
bugzilla for trident related problems you may also find
additional useful information.

Hope this helps,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,