Kernel DRM Woes

On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 09:35:55 -0500
>From: Thomas Dodd <ted@cypress.com>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: Kernel DRM Woes
>

>>On Monday 03 June 2002 12:33 am, Gregory S. Hayes wrote:
>>

>>>Say what? So i586 users will not get drm out of the box, but i686 users
>>>will? I had direct rendering working with earlier releases of Redhat on
>>>my i586 amd k62 450.
>>>
>>>What are i586 UP users supposed to do to get DRM?
>>>
>I would get the kernel.src.rpm, and, change the config file, and build a
>K6 kernel.
>
>You can probably start with the i586.config, and unset CONFIG_i586,
>and set CONFIG_MK6=y.
>Then you'll get the 3Dnow optimized routines too.
>
>For a long time, I build i686 kernels, for my K6-3,
>before I got an Athlon.

At one point that worked ok, but I don't believe an i686 kernel
works completely on K6 currently.  I'd have to discuss it with
Arjan or one of the other kernel guru's to get the full story
though.

K6 does not support the CMOV instruction, so using a kernel which
uses the CMOV instruction is..  well...  ;o)

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,