A question from a newbie about using XFree86 as a Xserver

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Thai Dang Vu wrote:

>Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 14:43:00 +0700
>From: Thai Dang Vu <thaid@Cybersoft-VN.com>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: A question from a newbie about using XFree86 as  a Xserver
>

>Hello everybody,
>
>Can we use XFree86 as an Xserver (like Exceed on windows) so that we can
>have the display of another Linux machine on our own Linux machine? If
>we can, how can we do that? Is there any document about it on Internet?

There are various ways to accomplish that.  You can use XDMCP
(read the XDMCP-HOWTO), or you can open up a local shell and ssh
to a remote machine and run X applications via X11 forwarding.

Another possibility is to use VNC to attach to a remote display.

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,