Missing symbol "sort" in RHEL 4 update 4?

We are trying to port our custom device driver to work with RHEL 4 update 4 (64 bit). It currently builds and runs under Suse, Mandriva, and Fedora Core 4 and 5.

For some reason, even though it builds on RHEL 4, the kernel module will not load.

We see the following behavior:

[root@eng-mls-rhel4-64 linux]# insmod omfs.ko

insmod: error inserting 'omfs.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

[root@eng-mls-rhel4-64 linux]# dmesg

omfs: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.

omfs: Unknown symbol sort

The sort function is being picked up from include/linux/sort.h in the kernel source tree:

[root@eng-mls-rhel4-64 client]# cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux

[root@eng-mls-rhel4-64 build]# pwd -P

/usr/src/kernels/2.6.9-42.EL-smp-x86_64/include/linux

[root@eng-mls-rhel4-64 linux]# grep sort sort.h

void sort(void *base, size_t num, size_t size,

The sort symbol has an entry in Module.symvers:

[root@eng-mls-rhel4-64 linux]# cd ../..

[root@eng-mls-rhel4-64 build]# grep sort Module.symvers

0x9ca95a0e      sort    vmlinux

The sort symbol also appears in System.map:

[root@eng-mls-rhel4-64 linux]# grep sort /boot/System.map-2.6.9-42.ELsmp

ffffffff80124814 T sort_extable

ffffffff801ed18e T sort

ffffffff801f4da8 T pdev_sort_resources

ffffffff80255aef t cfq_dispatch_sort

ffffffff803bf130 r __ksymtab_sort

ffffffff803c4700 r __kcrctab_sort

ffffffff803caa80 r __kstrtab_sort

ffffffff804fd8b7 T sort_main_extable

Could anybody explain to me why this would work on so many other distributions of Linux, but not RHEL 4?

Regards,

Pieter Brouwer

Omneon Video Networks