Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH unset

> From: Steven W. Orr <steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> =>Hi,
> =>
> =>I have just installed Red Hat Enterpresie 4 and have a problem with
> =>LD_LIBRARY_PATH which is set in my .bash_profile but appears unset in all
> =>shells. I have even placed a setenv > log as the last statement in the
> =>.bash_profile, the file does contain the correct LD_LIBRARY_PATH definition.
> =>
> =>Needless to say, there is an export statement for LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
> =>All other environment definitions including PATH are correctly preserved.
> =>I am using GNOME
>
> The LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable should hardly *ever* be set. Please use the
> /etc/ld.so.conf file instead. The only time you should be using this
> variable is if you are running a program which has a choice at execution
> time for which shared library you want to select from.
>
> Having said all that, the setenv is a csh command and you seem to be
> setting your variable in your .bash_profile
>
> Wrong place dude. If you are running a csh flavored shell then you need to
> set it in you ~/.login

Hi Steven,

Your post piqued my interest from a security point of view and I'm
wondering if you can comment; If /etc/ld.so.conf is set correctly, will
LD_LIBRARY_PATH be used? There's a product I'm familliar with that needs
to run "arbitrary" code and provides the sys admin a config file in which
to set environmental variables such as PATH, IFS, among others - including
LD_LIBRARY_PATH - to help reduce the risk that someone will break in using
that product. My understanding was that by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
explicitly to something it would override any previous setting, reducing
the risk someone would change out a key library in an attack. ...
Comments?

Thanks,
Richard

--