Re: RH30: Virtual Mem shot by locale-archive

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 05:02 -0700, Arijit Das wrote:
> I have RH3.0 installed in an AMD64 machine.
>
> In this system, when I look at the virtual address space mappings of a

> This seems like a huge requirement of memory for each small process

*virtual* memory. Of which an amd64 has a LOT of. (unlike a 32 bit
system)

>  executed in the RH3.0 system and hence, shots up the memory
> requirement of the entire system because the mapped
> region /usr/lib/locale/locale-archive is privately mapped.

but.. not used for the languages you don't use. It's not in actual
physical memory.

Also why do you think it's privately mapped? Unless it's written to it's
Copy-On-Write for sure..