Re: rpcgen on linux does not generate multithreaded svc code

Hi Matt,
      Thanks for the reply.
  But when will the linux RPC code be updated ?? I wander how enterprise applications using RPC currently run without threading. Do Linux guys have any plans to Incorporate the latest TLI ?  Is there any other place (I mean among the linux internal developers or the guys who have implemented SUN RPC on LINUX) where I can raise this issue?
     Do you have any idea how to change the svc code to support threading or where can I get help to do so?
Thanks & Regards
Ashish

Matt Fahrner <Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Linux's RPC code appears to be based on a very old iteration of SunRPC
that was put into public domain quite some time ago. The later revs,
which are not public domain, included support for (actually the
migration to) TLI with protocol independence. Subsequently TLI was
stillborn, but whatever.

In any case, as far as I know only Sun's RPC intrinsically supports
threads. I have never seen another implementation that does.

You can do your own threading, if nothing else by editing the
generated files, but it's not clear that the RPC routines themselves
are thread safe - in fact I would guess they are not based on the fact
that they usual a lot of global data.

Personally I'd love to see a thread safe RPC for Linux, but it's
probably not worth the effort. A better bet would be to maybe use XML
RPC if you can (though that! doesn't seem to have the same depth of
capabilities).

Unfortunately, to get threading, you'll probably either have to add a
lot of hacks, or write your own socket code and API getting rid of RPC.

- Matt

ashish borkar wrote:
> Hello,
> In linux the rpcgen command does not generate multithreaded code.
> When I run the rpcgen command on a .x file with -M option (-M generate
> MT-safe code) in SUN it generates code whose main() has this line:
> int mode = RPC_SVC_MT_AUTO;
> But when I run the rpcgen -M command in Linux the code generated is very
> different and does not have int mode = RPC_SVC_MT_AUTO;
> Due to this during stress test(i.e. multiple parallel requests) to
> the rpc server on Linux the client gets many RPC failed error
> messages.This does not happen in SUN.
> Also when I log the thread id in a log file it shows only a single
> thread which suggests that the svc code ! is not multithreaded.
> What is the solution for this?
> Thanks & Regards
> Ashish
>

> Do you Yahoo!?
> *Yahoo! Mail*
> - More reliable, more storage, less spam

Matt Fahrner 2 South Park St.
Manager of Networking Willis House
Burlington Coat Factory Warehouse Lebanon, N.H. 03766
TEL: (603) 448-4100 xt 5150 USA
FAX: (603) 443-6190 Matt.Fahrner@xxxxxxxx