ifoconfig and missing "RUNNING" state

Hello,
I want to know what is the meaning of the "RUNNING"
flag when typing ifconfig.
I have a problem with my ethernet card (Intel eepro)
I cannot ping other computers on the same hub/network.
When I run "ifconfig" I see that there is no "RUNNING"
flag to eth0
(there *is* a "RUNNING" flag to lo interface).
is this "RUNNING" flag a must for pinging ?
In the past I did used this inteface with the same driver
I use today with no probelm .
I do not recall that I did change something.
(On the same Hub on which I am connected, other computers
can ping the local net, so it is probably not a problem of
the physical connection)

Any hint will help

regards,
john