Re: mkinitrd failed with 'All of your loopback devices are in use'

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Alan Yang wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I ran into a situation where I don't know how to break the catch-22 cycle.
> The scenario is like this:
> 0.  from a DELL machine with scsi device
> 1.  I installed the FreeSwan ipsec that seems like a rebuild of kernel is required
>      so that when insmod loads ipsec.o there will be no error caused by the
>      unreferenced varibales from the current booting kernel
> 2.  I rebuilt the kernel, that went fine
> 3.  but the mkinitrd failed with the error message:
>      "Alll of your loopback devices are in use"
>      and I think the real problem could be that the loop.o was not loaded
That is most likely probably it.  I have seen this, but never spent the
time to patch mkinitrd to check and see if loop.o is loaded and bomb  out
immediately, or load it if its not loaded.

You should bugzilla this one. its real (not a big deal, but annoying and
misleading)....james

> 4.  without a valid .img file, I cannot load the
newly built image.
without booting