RE: mkinitrd failed with 'All of your loopback devices are in use'

I am still bit confused actually.  So, I think these have to be done:
1.  run 'make xconfig' to make sure the loopback support is selected
    as built in(not module)
2.  run 'make dep; make bzImage' to rebuild the kernel
3.  copy the bzImage just built to /boot and make grub.conf to use
    the newly built kernel to boot from
4.  the next step was what I confused:
    - if I now reboot, kernel would panic due to the initrd img
      that would work with the newly built kernel wasn't there.
      so I cannot reboot yet to use the newly built kernel
    - but, if I 'mkinitrd' now, it would fail with the error:
      "All of your loopback devices are in use" I think is caused by
      the loop.o wasn't built in the kernel that I boot from

    so, I am stuck.  what to do?  I cannot reboot because it would panic
    and if I do mkinitrd trying to make a valid img file that would also
    fail due to the loop.o wasn't in the kernel that I booted from.

    cannot seem to figure a way to break this cycle.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
alan