Re: Hot to know system wide shell variable?

Masahide Tomita wrote:

What I suspect is, that for log-in shell ulimit -c is set to unlimited
for sure, but for system wide setting, ulimit -c might be set to
different value.

So, what I want to know are :

How do I see a system wide value of ulimit -c ?
How do I set system wide value of ulimit -c ?

Well, it's not a shell variable, but /etc/profile says "ulimit -S -c 0" to "turn off" core dumping. I suspect that you are re-enabling it in your own profile. If you want to enable core dumping for a specific daemon, then either start it from your own shell directly or put an appropriate ulimit in the dameon's start-up script.

I generally don't do this -- if a daemon is likely to be core dumping, I attach the debugger to the running process and wait for it to crash.

jch