Problem with gcc-2.96 and uncaught exceptions

Hi,

I work on Redhat 7.3. I have a C program compiled with
gcc and strip'ed to remove all symbols, dynamically
loads using 'dlopen', a large C++ shared library.

The shared library has a parser that throws an
exception when it sees a parser error. The exception
doesn't get caught in the C++ shared library code and
the entire program crashes.

A small program of a C program dlopen'ing a C++ shared
library works fine but in the large it fails. GDB is
of no help, as the call stack is hosed and gives me
the run around.

Any suggestions with regards to any compile options in
need to compile the C program and the C++ shared
library so that the exceptions get caught in the C++
code?

Thanks for your help.

Rajesh