Re: Achieving binary compatibility for 7/8/9

> Have you run a debugger to see _why_ gethostbyname is failing?

The program I'm testing is:

#include <netdb.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int main()
{
    struct hostent * hp;

    if ( (hp = gethostbyname("localhost")) == NULL )
        printf("gethostbyname failed\n");
    return 0;
}

>From gdb:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /root/a.out

0x08080c09 in _dl_relocate_object ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x08080c09 in _dl_relocate_object ()
#1  0x080758ef in dl_open_worker ()
#2  0x0806248b in _dl_catch_error ()
#3  0x08075ae3 in _dl_open ()
#4  0x0806353e in do_dlopen ()
#5  0x0806248b in _dl_catch_error ()
#6  0x08063431 in __libc_dlopen ()
#7  0x0805c682 in __nss_lookup_function ()
#8  0x0805cd0a in __nss_lookup ()
#9  0x0805d4f3 in __nss_hosts_lookup ()
#10 0x0804d35c in gethostbyname_r ()
#11 0x0804d157 in gethostbyname ()
#12 0x0804820c in main ()
#13 0x0804830a in __libc_start_main ()

> I see absolutely no reason for a statically linked binary to fail on any
> system, unless it is using network communication whose protocol has
> changed or a config file whose format has changed.

I also wished this was the case, but it seems like it doesn't work if the
static binaires uses NSS. Take a look at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2002/debian-glibc-200210/msg00093.html:

  From: Roland McGrath <roland@xxxxxxxxxx>
  I'm afraid you are SOL if you want to use stock glibc 2.3 with those old
  static binaries.

> Are you sure you aren't LD_PRELOADing anything?

Yes.

--
Peter Åstrand		www.thinlinc.com
Cendio Systems		www.cendio.se