Newt/Slang and non VGA tty's.

Hi All,

I have been using libnewt to build various system administration utitilities,
and things were working pretty good until I went to Phoebe.  Where I have
problems is when I run the programs in a non-vga tty (such as an ssh sessioin
or accross a serial port).  I found an interesting work around, in that
if I set my TERM var to vt400-8 it seems to give me a fairly nice gracefully
degraded view, but not perfect.

My questions are two fold:

	1) Does anyone on the list have any experience with libnewt on a non
	   vga tty and what did you do to get it to look nice?
	2) What is libnewt (really slang) supposed to work on?  Is it only
	   really supposed to look good on VGA or is there some preferential
	   terminal type?
	3) Lastly, I actually get different results when I run my program as
	   a users shell as opposed to running it from the shell.  What
	   might be up with this?

Thanks...james