-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
-Donor?Black holes are where God divided by zero. Listen to me! We are all-
-individuals! What if this weren't a hypothetical question?
steveo at syslang.net

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:40:22 -0500 (EST)
From: Steven W. Orr <steveo@syslang.net>
To: Psyche List <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Upgraded to 2.4.20 kernel. Now I have wait(2) syslog msgs.

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003 Ed.Greshko@greshko.com wrote:

=>On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>
=>> After upgrading from Red Hat 8.0 kernel to the new 2.4.20 rawhide kernel,
=>> I now get these warning messages in my syslog:
=>>
=>> Mar  1 13:52:19 saturn kernel: application bug: spamd(8587) has SIGCHLD
=>> set to SIG_IGN but calls wait().
=>> Mar  1 13:52:19 saturn kernel: (see the NOTES section of 'man 2 wait').
=>> Workaround activated.
=>>
=>> I also get warnings from crond and privoxy.
=>>
=>> Is this a spamassassin/crond/privoxy bug or should I be switching back to
=>> the 2.4.18 kernel?
=>>
=>> I do understand that this is a rawhide kernel, but I'm not sure who else
=>> to ask this question to.
=>
=>The rawhide list would be one place...  :-)
=>
=>However, this sounds like a mismatch more than a bug.  If you play with
=>the rawhide stuff you need to be prepared for this sort of thing.  What
=>you do is upgrade the packages that give you the warnings to the rawhide
=>versions or get them from the new phoebe beta.
=>
=>Generally speaking....if you are not willing to deal with these quirks or
=>can't accept a dead system (can happen) you shouldn't be playing with
=>fire.  :-)
=>
=>Regards,
=>Ed
Where's the rawhide list? I looked at redhat and didn't see one.

I *am* willing to deal with these quirks. :-) That's why I'm asking this
question.

I see in kernel/exit.c that someone added this code. It's coming out of a
printk with priority KERN_INFO.

Still interested in more info. Thanks.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
steveo at syslang.net