Re: "make menuconfig" problems in RH8.0

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Sergio Alejandro Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi everybody...
>
> Sorry, but this bug in RH80 is "bugging" me all the time. When I issue the
> command
>
>  > make menuconfig
>
> everything works fine, except the video! The text structure is corrupted,
> and you simply not see what is going on, and selected the stuff that's is
> going to be compiled is actually harder that deciding what to compile!!!
> This issued, applies to :
> * any version of kernel
> * several platform I had tested
> * ncurses is not the problem since i compiled ncurses 5-3 and installed it
> and the problem remains..
> * frame buffers is also not the problem since with or without it the
> problem remains the same....
>
> Thank you and best regards...

I was bothered by this too. I solved it by upgrading to Rawhide YMMV. There
are plenty of other glibc & X issues which you run into in Rawhide...
Unfortunately I'm not sure which package fixed it.

A colleague claimed it could be circumvented by adjusting your fonts. Try
doing a setfont alt-8x8 and then make menuconfig see if the problem goes
away.

If you Run rawhide switching back between text consoles using a non-default
setfont and X the text console will get all confused but I have a feeling
that is probably the X server's fault but who knows...

Regards,
Rob

--
Robert Hardy                                          C.E.O. Webcon Inc.