Re: feature request for the distro updater

On 3 Feb 2003, Che wrote:

> Hello!
> i am not sure if thats the 100% accurate place to post that but id have

I guess BZ is the place to request it, this a good place to discuss it.

> a small feature request that wouldnt cause much trouble but would be of
> great use.
>
> Would it be considerable to add a checkbox somewhere in advanced options
> of "upgrade distribution" for removing all non redhat made rpms (vendor/
> distro/packager)? (upgrades could be done by just remembering the names
> of the removed packages and install a stock version of the upgraded
> %name if available ... if not just leave it out).

I guess your primary target is Ximian Gnome. Packages I've used from
other sources haven't been a problem.

The idea has some merit, but I see blanket removal of "foreign" packages
causing problems. Take IBM's JDK, DB2 etc.

Perhaps a tool to run pre-upgrade would be better, one able to recognise
known sources of problematic packages - and extensible so _you_ can add
sources _you_ know about and the way of dealing with them, and able to
deal appropriately with them.

It might also be possible/desirable for anaconda to be able to ignore
selected components during the upgrade, perhaps to leave Gnome at its
previous level while upgrading everything else.

--
Please, reply only to the list.