Re: kudzu always disabling Intel eepro100 card ?

On Wed Jan 29 2003 at 15:10, Bill Nottingham wrote:

> 'kudzu -q' will edit the modules.conf for you, for everything that it finds
> and recognizes.

One point about using /etc/modules.conf (and perhaps drifting
slightly off-topic as per the Subject line)...

At least up to rh7.3 (I haven't tested this with rh8.0), many of the
redhat config tools (such as mkinitrd) seem to treat
/etc/modules.conf as "monolithic", ie, they don't seem to work
properly if you have "include" files specified in it (nor any
if..elseif..else..endif directives).  These are very nice features
of modprobe.

  I tend to break up my modules.conf into include files, since I use
  a variety of hardware (video cards, tv capture cards, ethernet
  cards, usb devices and so on), and I can then easily edit
  modules.conf to include what I need from there in one hit.  (I
  create a /etc/modules.d/ directory and put the includes into
  there).

  This can be very useful when cloning boxes with differing hardware
  from a common source, driver modules and their options can be
  easily enabled or disabled appropriately.

  Generally this works very nicely for me, but when building a new
  initrd I need to specifically include the modules I want to
  include into it, but the options I use for them are not found nor
  used in the initrd if they are specified in one of the included
  files.

I suspect that "kudzu -q" may also behave in the same way to ignore
included config files (although I realise that this quietly writes
entries into /etc/modules.conf rather than read it - but it is
likely to ignore anything already mentioned in any includes and then
add duplicate entries.  Again, I don't know, not tested by me).

(There may be similar issues with "add above" and "add below"
directives).

Would not the "proper" way to do these sorts of things be to groke
the output of "modprobe -c"?  (Although this would have issues
too... it would only work for the currently running kernel).

> Bill

(Should I bugzilla this as a suggestion, or does rh8.0 already have
this functionality?)

Cheers
Tony