RE: kudzu always disabling Intel eepro100 card ?

> One note is that if the kernel being run isn't the same version as
> the kernel installed in the chroot, kudzu will *not*
> configure the device,
> as it won't be able to find the module for it.
>
> Bill

So I tried both copying the running (boot cd) kernels modules directory to
/lib/modules and making a symbolic link to the installed (on disk) modules
directory (named with the running version) so that either way kudzu should
be able to see the modules from either version. It still disabled this
adapter.

-- from earlier message --

> First, it checks that the IRQ in the PCI header isn't 0 or 255. That's
> probably where it's bailing.

from /proc/interrupts:
3:        236692         XT-PIC  eth0
So this should be fine, its using irq 3

> Then it goes through the IO ports and memory for the device and
> checks to see if they are marked disabled.
>
> Does it work outside of the chroot? Is /proc mounted inside the
> chroot?

At this point, I can't run it outside of chroot because libnewt isn't on
this bootcd. If, in the chrooted environment, I mount /proc (it wasn't
before), and copy the cds modules directory to /lib/modules (so both
versions are there) it assigns the generic eepro100 driver to the device,
and assigns the description "Unknown vendor|Generic eepro100 device". So
this is certainly progress!

I guess at this point I need to back up and explain why I'm doing this. The
project I'm working on uses a custom boot cd, that, controlled by a central
server, can either 1. install a machine with redhat 7.3 at startup, or 2.
boot the installed redhat 7.3 (using kexec to load another kernel).

If it installs the machine, we are using a modified version of anaconda to
do so. Because of the custom bootcd, anaconda was removed from its typical
environment and modified to run stand alone. This meant removing the RedHat
program that normally creates /tmp/modules.conf with the loaded modules
before install (also removed because our boot cd has its own mechanism to
load modules).

So, at the end of the install, we need to create a customized modules.conf
for the machine. Currently, I am running kudzu in the chrooted env, and
using the resultant hwconf to generate the modules.conf. This was the only
mechanism I could find that _categorized_ the loaded modules, so I can
create the eth, scsi-adapter, etc sections in modules.conf appropriately.

Everything has been working ok until I ran across this network adapter. I
think at this point I'll look through the kudzu source to see how it
categorizes the modules, and use that instead of calling kudzu from a weird
chrooted environment.

Aaron