Re: kernel-headers rpm ?

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> >and I bet you did not get the point, me thinks.
> >

> I don't think so... If adding a new disk is not possible, use a file,
> the wonder of loop devices :) While people regularly use loop mounts for
> CD and floppy images or the initrd, they forget that almost any
> filesystem/mountpoint can be a loop device. I did this recently for
> /var/spool/up2date. The system is mainly a wi98 box, but it has a small
> linux install. So when I didn't have room for new updates, I tried a
> symlink. For various reasons it didn't work well, symlinking
> /var/spool/u2date to a FAT32 filesystem, so I created a new filesystem
> using the loop device and a file on the FAT32 filesystem. dd, losetup,
> and mke2fs where all it took.

One of my favourite tricks:
[root@skink root]# dd if=/dev/zero of=newfs count=0 bs=$((64*1024))
seek=$((4*1024*1024))
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
[root@skink root]# mke2fs -F -q newfs
mke2fs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
[root@skink root]# mount -o loop,ro newfs /mnt/floppy/
[root@skink root]# df -hl
/dev/hda2             7.7G  6.5G  867M  89% /
/dev/hda1              23M   18M  4.0M  82% /boot
none                   62M     0   61M   0% /dev/shm
/root/newfs           252G   20k  239G   1% /mnt/floppy
[root@skink root]#

Do remember, though, that using filesystems in files like this
is low-reliability. You go through two (or more) layers of caching etc,
and the thought of a power failure at a critical moment....

--
Please, reply only to the list.