Re: kernel-headers rpm ?

Riku Meskanen wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Michael Schwendt wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 01:00:17 +0100, Brian Ipsen wrote:

One quick question (whcih actually is giving me a lot of trouble
building
some other software). My RH 7.2 kernel is 2.4.18-19 - but the latest
kernel-headers rpm package available is 2.4.9-34 - how come there is
no update to 2.4.18-19 of this package too ??

Last I checked, kernel-headers was renamed to the more descriptive glibc-kernheaders, because there are the kernel headers used when glibc was built.

The kernel headers as necessary for building kernel modules, for
instance, can be found in the kernel-source binary rpm for your
kernel version. On the other hand, the headers in the kernel-headers

And for that you MUST us the headers for the current kernel, not the ones in /usr/include. They are stripped down some, and don't supply all the needed files.

Some thoughts about the current kernel module compilation issue ...

I've been wondering why require the full kernel source package
(/usr/src/linux-$version) which size is about 137MB installed
at /usr, while the (/usr/src/linux-$version/include) headers
needed to build modules fits fine on 8.5MB.

You also need different headers for each arch, or smp. You need to:

to get the headers ready for building 3rd party modules.

Often the space in /usr is so short that freeing some space
(provided LVM was not used) is a PITA. Not that I defend bad
fs-planning done earlier, but we all propably have met and
tried upgrade the system which /usr didn't appear as much
free space there once we thought would be enough.

so make /usr/src a seperate filesystem/partition.

So how about having this very small 8.5MB portion installed
also with binary kernel to /lib/modules/$version/include ?

Because the correct place is /lib/modules/<version>/build/include The whole pourpose of the build symlink was to make finding the build tree easier. Nothing says that it must point to /usr/src, it can point to $HOME if you wish.

but it can get much too complicated just to have modules built
and installed for all installed binary kernels at once.

Building 3rd party modules is not something most users would do. Either they stick with the Red Hat kernel and what it supports, or they get prebuilt modules for their current kernel. Few have more that on kernel installed for more than a few hours, lonenough to reboot the new on and remove the old one.

-Thomas