Re: optimised glibc

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 18:25, Florin Andrei wrote:
> What is the reason why there are kernel RPMs optimised for Athlon, but
> no glibc RPMs for Athlon?

Perhaps there isn't much to be gained.  AMD knows far too well that
because it is the "minor company" most of the time its processors will
be running code who has been optimized for Intel processors.  So if
AMD wants to stay in business it would be better if its processors
are relatively insensitive to code who is not specifically targetted
for them: for instance it could be there are  only 1 or two percent
slower when  crunching code for 686.

The kernel spends most of its time running assembly code and it is at
ring zero you are more likely to stumble on instructions and features
who are model-specific

The glibc on the other hand has only a handful routines who are written
in assembler and for the gain obtained from gcc parms I would tell it is
probably quite small judging from what you get with other processors.

> Which is the reccomended glibc package to install on an Athlon system?
> The i386 or the i686?

I would be glad to benchmark them alongside with a glibc purposefully
built for the athlon provided you send me one.  :-)

Seriously, run a couple benchmarks on both plus use the SRPM to rebuild
an athlon optimized  glibc (rpm -ba --target athlon glibc.spec),
benchmark, compare and publish the results.

			JFM