Re: perl module version ordering differing from RPM

On Sunday 01 September 2002 14:32, Peter Bowen wrote:
> So, no this isn't a bug, nor is it broken-by-design.  If you can come up
> with an algorithm that does a better job and is as fast as the current
> one, please post it.  The current one is a step above some of the other
> algorithms available, but does, as you noted, have some unusual corner
> cases.

I don't think rpm spends much of its time comparing version numbers. Spending
more time getting it right more times would be worth doing.

How well would breaking the "numbers" into separate strings including any
leading zeros and camparing left to right until there's a difference work?

I don't think many humans think 1.1 = 1.01, but comparing "1" with "1" and
then "1" with "01" would give the expected result.

I suspect it might not work well on this: compat-libstdc++-6.2-2.9.0.16, but
then I don't understand it either.

Some other odd ones:
htdig-3.2.0-2.011302
imlib-1.9.13-3.7.x
rpm-python-4.0.4-7x.18

Sometimes I think a version might wind up neither newer nor older -
bonnie++-1.02a-1mdk - than some other versions.
imlib might be fixable by having its full package name imlib-1.9.13-3 and
requiring appropriate versions of redhat-release.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.