ONBOOT=no ignored for aliases

The RedHat initscripts bring up alias interfaces when the parent device is
brought up, regardless of the setting of ONBOOT for the aliases.  For
example, suppose I have this setup:

    # cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    ONBOOT=yes
    IPADDR=192.168.0.1
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.0.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.0.255

    # cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    DEVICE=eth0:0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    ONBOOT=no
    IPADDR=192.168.0.2
    NETMASK=255.255.255.255
    NETWORK=192.168.0.2
    BROADCAST=192.168.0.2

You would expect that immediately after booting (or running "service network
restart"), eth0 would be up and eth0:0 would be down when in fact both will
be up.

In my view, this behaviour is incorrect.  I often use aliases for service
addresses that float among clusters of machines and, while I want to bring
the primary addresses up at boot, I want to bring service addresses up under
program control.  I'm sure others have faced this issue.

I have been patching RedHat's initscripts to honour the ONBOOT option of
aliases since RedHat 6.x but I'm curious if there's a rationale for the
current behaviour.

--
tim writer <tim@starnix.com>                                  starnix inc.
tollfree: 1-87-pro-linux                        thornhill, ontario, canada