Re: Layered Driver Support in Linux ?

Tom Sanders wrote:

>Does Linux support layered drivers ?
>
>I want to write a driver that will take requests from
>the applications and will pass them on to underlying

Lot's of drivers do that. md for RAID looks like a disk to app, and
it talks to the hd/sd device itself. They whole USB drivers do it
too, using several layers. Ex.
   app->mouse->input->usbmouse->usb-ohci->usbcore

>SD disk driver. For this I need to map open, close,
>read, write, ioctl etc entry points to corresponding
>functions of the underlying driver.
>
>Pointer to any info would be appreciated.

That sounds a lot like the sg (scsi generic) driver.
Perhaps you should look at it first.
/usr/src/linux-2.4/Documentation/scsi-generic.txt
or
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-<version>/scsi-generic.txt

and the longer version at <http://www.torque.net/sg/p/sg_v3_ho.html>

    -Thomas