Ispell vs aspell

Please excuse me if I am posting this rant to a wrong mailing list.
Does anyone know why ispell had to be replaced with aspell in the
RedHat Linux 7.x releases?  Aspell's "ispell" compatibility program
completely messes up the keys that ispell users have come to depend
on, and so, it is not really an ispell replacement and, therefore,
this program should not be called "ispell".  In addition, it seems
like the ispell user dictionary files are not compatible with the
aspell dictionary files.  We have a mixed environment where many
non-Linux systems have the real ispell program installed and this is
confusing many users.

My initial solution to this problem was to remove the aspell package
and install ispell in /usr/local/bin. However, in RedHat Linux 7.3, it
seems that there is a dozen or so packages that actually depend on
aspell and I wouldn't want to remove those just to get rid of this
bogus ispell program.

One possibility that I am considering is replacing /usr/bin/ispell
with a symbolic link to real ispell program. Of course, that might be
blown away by installing updates but that can be fixed from the same
scripts that we use for installing updates. Still, I am wondering why
this pain had to be inflicted on the users.

-akop