Re: OT: clearcase ...

> When your organization has a sunk cost, it's wise to recognize it as early
> as possible and move on. True, as a technical person it can be difficult
> to deal with situations like this because often management doesn't
> consider seriously the business acumen of technical people. But, honestly,
> we are often the first to recognize these shipwrecks when they occurr in
> the technology. A secondary and not to be minimized problem is the "you're
> wrong"  or "placing blame" issue. Simply put: It's not about blame, it's
> about your organization being profitable. If put in these terms, USUALLY
> management will listen... A thoroughly researched perspective, articulated
> gently will usually win the day, and even if you don't get what you want,
> you will likely impress your management and you may win the next battle.
>
> ...Sorry to be so far off topic...

This is actually a good place to say such things (in moderation, of course).
Techies such as live here tend not to understand the business perspective.

I was on a TAFE course recently, and in one of the units the lecturer said,
"When something goes wrong, it's not someone's fault, your procedures are wrong."

A good illustration; my wife went into the local Tandy store and asked for a
cleaning kit for CD recorders. The young blokes didn't know whether the cleaning
kits they had for CD readers were the same thing, and the boss was out. They
asked my wife, and of course she didn't know.

Tandy should have had a procedure in place for these youngsters to find out the
answer  and deliver it, either on the spot or at a time convenient to my wife.

Procedures are established to achieve uniform results. Kickstart is such a
procedure.

If you sit down and install RHL 7.3 manually ten times on ten PCs, odds are you
will get ten different results unless you choose one of the standard setups.

OTOH if you use kickstart, you can guarantee getting the same packages installed
on them all, and getting the same post-installation customisations done.

There are some changes I like to make to all my systems:
syslogd writing a copy of messages to tty12
/mnt/nfs being created as a mount-point for the parent of my install tree - I
have updates and extra packages in clear view from there.
Default desktop is KDE.
Configure autofs
Install my printer

and so on.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!