Build/Development environments...

Hi All,

I have been given the task reasearching possible ways of setting
up a development environment such that:

	- Multiple releases can be supported on the same machine (e.g.
	  the perl in the 7.3 and 7.2 on the same machine).
	- Try to avoid rebuilding (and altering) the RedHat RPM's.
	- There should be one golden copy of this environment (though
	  it can be replicated to servers accross the WAN).
	- Each development environment should mimic what packages are part
	  of the target environment.

I know I can install a set of RPM's to a  false root.  Once I do that
though:

	- if I try to use executables in the false root with out
	  doing a chroot I end up picking shared libraries local to the
	  machine (and not the ones in the chrooted environement).
	- if I do a chroot things work well except for I run into
	  issues with mounting mounts on top the RO filesystems (this
	  appears to be needed to provide access to our source control,
	  and give developers a scratch space).

So my question really is how do your companies handle managing the
configuration of your development and build environments?

Thanks...james