/etc/sysconfig and PCI WLAN issue

Howdy,

I had yesterday at last some time to play with my laptops
(HP OmniBook 6100) built in WLAN (Actiontec) card that is
based on Prism2 chip.

The wlan-ng project supports the chip, but I think using
Jouni Malinen's Host AP driver from http://hostap.epitest.fi/
is cleaner approach.

So I downloaded the Prism2-2002-05-19.tar.gz package built and
installed the hostap_pci driver. BTW, thats's really something
would be nice to see in upcoming releases.

Added /etc/modules.conf line

 alias wlan0  hostap_pci

then created a /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0

 DEVICE=wlan0
 BOOTPROTO=dhcp
 #IPADDR=""
 #NETMASK=""
 USERCTL=no
 ONBOOT=no
 PEERDNS=no
 # Wireless specifics, see man page iwconfig(8) for details
 MODE=managed
 ESSID=foobar
 #NWID=
 #FREQ=
 #CHANNEL=
 #SENS=
 #RATE=
 KEY="XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX"
 #RTS=
 #FRAG=
 #IWCONFIG=
 #SPYIPS=
 #IWPRIV=

with appropriate values the "ifup wlan0" seems to acivate wlan0
interface nicely, but there are some questions I would like to see
answered that the neither of following documentation does not explain

http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/howto/sysconfig.html
file:/usr/share/doc/initscripts-6.67/sysconfig.txt

The question is the information about /etc/sysconfig/networking
stuff that appeared to 7.x and how it can be used?

Especially I'm trying to understand how the Red Hat engineers
thougth the WLAN interface could be configured against AP:s
with different profiles for MODE/ESSID/KEY etc.

I've played before more with PCMCIA WLAN cards, but the built-in
PCI card seem to work nice too with appropriate driver, just wondering
if there would be a nice way to set up profiles to select with
on WLAN activation.

Any links, hints or info I have missed would be appreciated.

TIA,

:-) riku

--
    [ This .signature intentionally left blank ]