From: John Summerfield [mailto:summer@os2.ami.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 12:59 PM
To: redhat-devel-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: Crackers?

> John Summerfield (summer@os2.ami.com.au) said:
> > Is this being broken into? If so, what do I look for?
> > This is one line. There were quite a few.
> > May  6 03:22:36 gateway SERVER[5344]: Dispatch_input: bad request line
>
> This is someone trying to break into LPRng, as I recall - I believe
> if you get the log message, you're OK. ;)

I'm hoping there are more ideas.... Better too many than too few in these
circumstances.

I went digging on Google after I wrote.

I discovered lots of attempts reported of people trying to hit dump() and
some
nfs().

There was also a mention of someone breaking into the IMAP service, and that
is
a worry because

a) The boss wants to get his mail from outside
b) There was a report from the ISP of the site being unfriendly with the
mail it
was sending.  I don't know the specifics though.

I could not find any evidence of residual harm, and the fact we have the log

messages suggest either a beginner or a failure.

I used RPM to validate the installed packages: rpm -Va, and saw nothing
especially odd (paying special attention to the ls command), and find to
find
unexpected executables.

I applied what updates I had (I'm getting the latest now), force-reinstalled

rpm, and rechecked.

I was going to check using Bero's Enigma rescue CD, but it's got the wrong
version of rpm on it.

Oh, the system has webmin on it; I updated that to the latest I have, found
there's a security update on that and got the latest there is and installed
that, and tightened it up so you can't try guessing passwords indefinitely.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!