Re: ReiserFS in Installations

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean Francois Martinez" <jfm2@club-internet.fr>

> On Fri, 3 May 2002 23:31:39 +0200
> "Florian Lindner" <Florian.Lindner@xgm.de> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > will it be possible to choose ReiserFS as the filesystem type while
> > performing the graphical installation in Redhat 7.2/8.0 ?

> What I would like to know is why some people are fetichistic about
> ReiserFS.  While since some people have ReiserFS partitions
> I understand the need for supposrting ReiserFS in
> upgrades a thing RedHat 7.2 and I think 7.1 provided, I fail to see
> why anyone would want to set a NEW ReiserFS partition.   Contrarily
> to ext3 it does not keep data coherency, its partitions cannot be
> read by older kernels and it does not allow upgrade in place.
> Contrarily to XFS it does not support ACLs and it suffers of
> performance hiccups who make it unusable for streaming.  It also
> looks like it is slower than XFS and I have noticed in some cases
> it is quite slow
> at recovering from crashes while XFS is ever blindingly fast.
> Contrarily to JFS it cannot be resised on the fly.
>
> So what is so special about ReiserFS?

I very much like the idea of B*-trees as a filesystem. I also would prefer
XFS over ReiserFS but for now it's too much trouble for me to first install
a distribution with another filesystem (I need to make a new clean install)
and then convert to XFS. Or is the next Redhat release supporting XFS as a
installation option? I see that the XFS homepage is providing modified
installers, do anyone have experiences with these installers? How long after
the Redhat release do it usually lasts until they relase a installer?
I would like Redhat to support more filesystems out of the box and as a
option during the installation (JFS, XFS, ReiserFS, ...).
Greets,
Florian