Re: next release

On Tuesday 30 April 2002 00:19, Trevor wrote:
> > Support contracts are not that profitable (I know, I was in the
>
> business)..
>
> Ahem... Maybe you weren't a very good salesman.  I think that RedHat is
> doing very well considering that they are giving away GPL product.

I wasn't a salesman (I suck at it) - I was a consultant person.

> Considering the alternative (M$) who charges for the product and then
> charges more for supporting, many corporation's CFO's are starting to see
> the value in RH.

Check your facts. Microsoft doesn't sell support and most of the time they
don't give support. They leave this one for your ISV, your computer
manufacturer, to your IT team, or to a consulting company.

> Plus, they have to give it away... that's the double-edged sword that
> GPL/opensource cutting.

I would suggest you take a look at a couple of previews articles of Linux
weekly news (lwn.net) - those guys analyse Red Hat quater reports - Red Hat
is still loosing money despite their claims of profitability, but of course -
that really depends how you read the numbers.

Hetz