My kernel i686 kernel build is failing

--==_Exmh_1754770837P

I'm trying to build a set of custom kernels, so I've been hacking at the
spec file that came with 2.4.9.  I need to build i586 and i686 smp kernels, so
I modified it to build the doc headers and source rpm when I
--target=i586-unknown-linux and not to build the uniprocessor kernel ever.
That worked just fine, and I get the full set up i586 rpms, but now I'm trying
to get my i686 smp kernel built with --target=i586-unknown-linux and it's not
running the %install stage at all.

When I run 'rpmbuild -bb --target=i686-unknown-linux kernel-2.4.spec' it ends
with the last few commands before %install and then 'exit 0'.

If I look back through the output, it *did* build my smp kernel.

I guess what I need to know is how and when rpmbuild decides not to run the
%install stage because clearly I'm triggering that conditional.

Possibly a red herring, I'm getting a warning at the very beginning that I
don't understand:

error: parse error in expression
error: /export01/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel-2.4.spec:1564: parseExpressionBoolean returns -1

1563: %ifarch i586
1564: %if %{buildsmp}
1565: DependKernel i586 smp

This seems odd to me both because that line should be conditioned out since
I'm building for an i686 and also because I don't get the same error on the
same line above it in the file:

1537:
1538: %if %{buildsmp}
1539: BuildKernel smp

Way up at the top I have:

   9: %define buildsmp 1

and if I echo %{buildsmp}, it shows the value to be 1.

I'm sure there's something simple that I've screwed up, but I just don't
understand the magic behind the scenes in rpmbuild.

Chris

--
Chris Garrigues                 http://www.DeepEddy.Com/~cwg/
virCIO                          http://www.virCIO.Com

  My email address is an experiment in SPAM elimination.  For an
  explanation of what we're doing, see http://www.DeepEddy.Com/tms.html

    The Greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the
      hijacking of morality by religion.  However valuable -- even
      necessary -- that may have been in enforcing good behavior on
      primitive peoples, their association is now counterproductive.
      Yet at the very moment when they should be decoupled,
      sanctimonious nitwits are calling for a return to morals based
      on superstition.
				--- Arthur C. Clarke

--==_Exmh_1754770837P

--==_Exmh_1754770837P--