samba

On Fri Mar 29 2002 at 00:04, "vishist mandapaka" wrote:

  (Please don't use that, turn it off in your outrage excess mailer).

> Hi,
>    I am unable to access the linux file system through windows using =
> Samba. Here am providing the configuration file that I used. Can any one =
> point me what went wrong here.
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>  workgroup =3D RHIC
>  netbios name =3D RHIC

Without looking any further at what else you have there, here you
have broken one of the primary rules concerning netbios host and
domain names... a domain name can never be used as a host's name,
and no hosts in any workgroup in the same domain may have the same
name.  Otherwise very-bad-things-happen.

Change the netbios name and see what happens, if they all belong to
the "RHIC" domain then that should at least get the linux box seen
on the netbios network.

Further down, disable wins and domain master... the rest of the
config is not adequate enough to properly support it, and you
probably don't want the linux box to be the domain master if one
exists already (and in that case you should specify where it is with
the "password server =" directive and have local user and smbpasswd
accounts for all users who need local access.  Unless you use
winbind but that is another story).

If all you want to achieve is simple file sharing with windows boxes
on a private LAN (heh, where _all_ windows boxes belong anyway:)
then you might specify "security = share" and not worry about a
password server at all.

The [homes] section won't really work as you want, and it is a very
bad thing to have them public and writable by anyone.  Home
directories are just that, private user home directories.  Set a
"public" share somewhere (eg, /home/samba/public with mode 1777) and
use that space to share files.

Additionally, if you can use "smbclient -L winclient" and get a
listing of it's shares, then you should be able to smbmount them
onto your linux box - that can be a very useful and easy way to get
access into the windows boxes.

(This question really does not belong in redhat-devel, try the
mailing list for the redhat distribution you are using, or the samba
mailing list).

Cheers
Tony
  Tony Nugent <Tony@linuxworks.com.au>