Why no core dump???????????

You are confusing 'segmentation fault' with 'accessing memory not
(yet) allocated'. A program has certain space allocated to it by
the OS. To use this memory in an organized manner, you use (m)alloc.
So in your program you are accessing your memory only, and that is
why no seg-fault(and hence no core dump).

Quoting Vimol (mail2vimol@yahoo.com):