Altering the MANPATH in RPM

> I guess since know one has responded to this question concerning a
> clean way for an RPM to alter the MANPATH (i.e. alter it non-destructively
> and using a safe mechanism to do so) says that there is not such a
> clean method (please someone correct me if I am wrong).  If this is the case
> then perhaps a later RedHat release could consider this.  I can think of a
> few ways of acomplishing this, but probably the simplest would be to
> do something like HP does, which I mentioned in the P.S. of my previous
> email:
>
> 	P.S. on HP/UX the system MANPATH was constructed from the file
> 	/etc/MANPATH which contained a : delimited list of directories,
> 	which made it very easy for depots (HP rpms) to alter the MANPATH,
> 	and was very necessary in an architecture where most every package
> 	gets its own directory under /opt.
>
> The key problem I see with this method is that I don't believe gnu man suppor
> ts
> this (again I would like to be wrong), but what I think could easily be done
> is

I'm sure it does, but I can't be bothered reading the man page.

I'm sure reading the man page will provide all the answers.

I'd not undo the changes when the rpm is removed though - it just might be
possible that something else wants the  same change.

I recommend using grep to test whether the change is actually needed, than maybe
ed to implement it.

Plenty of man pages to read there;-)