Alternative file systems? Was Re: Better File systems?

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2002, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > 3. XFS
> > This is interesting, because the XFS code base is actually very mature
> > and stable. That's why, i guess, the Linux port became stable so
> > quickly: because only the Linux "hooks" had to be made stable, while the
> > core was already mature.
>
> xfs is still battling corruption problems, and there is still the "nulls
> in files" problem. while xfs core code may be mature the linux port is
> not. i wouldn't suggest it for any production systems at the moment.
> (i had big problems with xfs on several production machines)
>
> ext3 doesn't have the nulls-in-files problem due to the way it journals,
> and I never had it happen on reiserfs (although it may be possible with
> reiserfs, i don't know).

 With reiserfs, you can still get crap data in files, but you always
get filesystem integrity (i.e. it doesn't need rebuilding, normally,
unless you get actual I/O errors to the disk, like a bad sector).

 With ext3, I've haven't seen this at all (yet :o)

> also the fact you can't fsck a readonly mounted xfs filesystem is a
> downer. neither ext(2|3) or reiserfs have this problem. it is unique to
> xfs.
>
> i haven't played with jfs at all, afaik it is the most recent of the
> bunch. it has interesting features but it seems both xfs and reiser are
> considerably more advanced and tested.

 jfs is working pretty well, I have >20G in a 30G partition and have
had no problems apart from forgetting to set an fsck pass number in
/etc/fstab so the first time I reset the machine it refused to mount
until I'd run fsck, but all it did was reply the journal and mark the
fs clean -- a fraction of a second.

 Performance is OK.  Some things seem quicker, some slower; but I've
done a couple of quick tests (timed untarring the kernel sources) and
jfs wins by a small margin over reiserfs with markedly lower "system"
time used.  Removing the tree seems a bit slower than on reiserfs but
how often do you need to "rm -rf" huge trees and worry about the time
it takes?

> at the moment i would recommend reiserfs over xfs.

 It would depend on the application ... ext3 is actually better for
some applications (according to a quick web search a while back, a
"real world" benchmark with some databases showed ext3 a winner).
ReiserFS on the other hand was optimized for Squid a while back.
You may get better performance for adding and removing small files
if you disable tail-packing (the "notail" mount option) but you'll
save space with it enabled.