Future of "python2" package/RPMs which require python 2

Ben Escoto <bescoto@stanford.edu> writes:

> How does redhat recommend that RPMs require python >= 2.x?

For the current series: Depend on python2 = <versionyouneed>

> In version 7.x it seems that there are separate python (v1.x) and
> python2 (2.x)  packages, so an RPM cannot simply specify python >=
> 2.x.

Python 1.5.2 is what's being used in the distribution, python2 is
there for people to play with/develop for the future with. Note that
all support modules (database modules, newt, etc) only are shipped for
1.5.2

In the future, python 1.5.2 will be obsoleted and python will be
updated to whatever is current/stable at the time.

> However other distributions don't seem to have a problem with calling python
> 2.x "python", so an RPM that requires "python2" would work with redhat
> but not anyone else.
>
>     Also, eventually will "python" be upgraded to 2.x (so this is only
> a temporary problem, maybe not worth dealing with)

When we do another major series, python will be upgraded. We couldn't
upgrade for eg. 7.2 and the current beta as they are intended to stay
binary compatible (including python modules) with python 1.5.2 as
shipped in RHL 7. We don't want to break binary compatiblity within a
series.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.