Re: [syzbot] [mm?] [reiserfs?] kernel panic: stack is corrupted in ___slab_alloc

On Mon, 10 Jul 2023 at 09:48, Vlastimil Babka <vbabka@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/10/23 09:43, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Jul 2023 at 20:33, Lameter, Christopher
> > <cl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Have you tried to run with the "slub_debug" kernel option to figure out
> >> what got corrupted?
> >
> > Can slub_debug detect anything that KASAN can't?
>
> Probably not, KASAN will find out a bad write at the moment it happens,
> while slub_debug only later from corrupted red zone/poison.
>
> > I would assume KASAN can detect more bugs (e.g. stack/globals) and
> > report way better. And it was already enabled in the config.
>
> Anyway this is a stack corruption, not slab layout corruption. It's probably
> hard to distinguish a legitimate stack write from an overrun so even KASAN
> could not catch it immediately?

KASAN can detect stack out-of-bounds writes.
However, use-after-return detection support was never implemented in
KASAN (user-space ASAN can detect them as well).
User-space MSAN can also detect use-after-scope, I think it's not
implemented in KMSAN as well.

If we ever get to the root cause of this bug, it may be useful to
analyze why it wasn't detected and if it's possible to make such bugs
detected.