Re: Is it time to remove reiserfs?

On Thu, 24 Feb 2022, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 09:48:26AM -0500, Byron Stanoszek wrote:
For what it's worth, I have a number of production servers still using
Reiserfs, which I regularly maintain by upgrading to the latest Linux kernel
annually (mostly to apply security patches). I figured this filesystem would
still be available for several more years, since it's not quite y2038k yet.

Hey Byron, thanks for sharing your usage.

It's not entirely clear to me from your message whether you're aware
that our annual LTS release actually puts out new kernels every week (or
sometimes twice a week), and upgrades to the latest version are always
recommended.  Those LTS kernels typically get five years of support in
total; indeed we just retired the v4.4 series earlier this month which
was originally released in January 2016, so it got six years of support.

If we dropped reiserfs from the kernel today (and thanks to Edward, we
don't have to), you'd still be able to use a v5.15 based kernel with
regular updates until 2028.  If we drop it in two years, that should
take you through to 2030.  Is that enough for your usage?

I'm aware of the LTS releases, but I hadn't thought about them in relation to
this issue. That's a good point, and so it sounds like I have nothing to worry
about.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Regards,
 -Byron