Re: Update: Reiser4 Linux kernel 4.18.19-1 blocked by root's [kworker/u2:2+fl]

On 11/20/2018 03:47 AM, Jose R R wrote:
On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 3:19 PM Edward Shishkin
<edward.shishkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello.

Under certain conditions, I am able to reproduce the problem on earlier kernels.
And it doesn't depend on compression.
I have reiser4 -enhanced Linux kernel 4.15.18-1
< https://sourceforge.net/projects/metztli-reiser4/files/Reiser4-SFRN-4.0.2_Linux-4.15.18-1-EOL_for-Stretch/
running continuously online in a non-compressed reiser4 root fs web
server for approximately 5 months already. I have not experienced any
kernel issues.

Notwithstanding, placing that same kernel in a ZSTD transparent
compression -formated reiser4 root fs only lasts at most a couple of
days -- and then the kernel hangs.

I have another observation. When booting the system with
reduced amount of memory (1G, or even 512M) the problem
disappears. It is like touching an elephant at different places..

  This latter Instance is where
kernel 4.14.20 has been continuously running since beginning of the
year. Both instance images were created first with Metztli Reiser4
installation into VirtualBox 5.1.32. And both images were subsequently
customized and converted to operate and interact under Google Compute
Engine (GCE) infrastructure. Both images are LAMP web servers, as
well.

Thus my inductive reasoning that ZSTD/lzo1 has something that triggers
the kernel hang in continuously running reiser4 transparent
compression -formated Linux instances. However, my local (development
notebook) instances are ZSTD/lzo1 transparent compression 1.2TB root
fs but since the machine is not on all the time these two kernels
4.18.18 and 4.18.19 (stripped of btrfs/squashfs ZSTD) have held for 8
to 10 hours without issues.