Re: Two Reiser4 FSs in the same HDD cause head seek panic?

On Tue, 24 May 2016 10:58:53 +0200 Georgios Tsalikis <georgios@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I happened to format a rootfs partition and another one for /home with Reiser4. It proved to be a disaster. Apart from the slow boot times (expected from this drive) even after reaching a functional GUI the disk kept doing I/O like crazy. When /home became Btrfs the issue ceased. My other computer that uses an entire drive formatted with Reiser4 is nice and silent as well.

How large are the disks? The long boot time may be (at least partially)
caused by bitmap loading – try mount option “dont_load_bitmap”.
This won't help you with seeking *after* boot, though. It will actually
make it worse.

Do you have a proper IO scheduler set? What does
“cat /sys/block/sdX/queue/scheduler” say? (Replace sdX with the correct
identifier.)

Is there anything interesting in the system logs? I'm assuming there isn't.

--
Jonáš Vidra, vidra.jonas@xxxxxxxxx