Re: Reiser4-enabled Debian Unstable (Sid) netboot iso

2016-006 05:42 Jose R R <Jose.r.r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have built a modified version of initramfs-tools package that has as
> default those Reiser4 -specific settings
> but wanted to allow d-i to select most of its packages from regular
> Debian repositories.
well, i see. right way, probably. but you can the needed hook in any installion
scripts that you modify anyhow. i think, you messed with any of those, yes?

> That suggestion is probably fine for the reiser4-parted DEBs but the
> kernel included in d-i is 'picky' and I have not had luck changing its
> name to something other than *official* Debian because d-i then
> refuses to install from the Debian repositories.
ouch, didn't know that it has such a strict restrictions

> And for Debian Parted:
> echo "parted hold" | dpkg --set-selections
> echo "libparted2 hold" | dpkg --set-selections
> And we can check for those packages effectively being on *hold* and
> not replaced by Debian package manager, thus:
that's the option, yeah, but placing packages on hold can lead to some expected
dependecies conflicts in the future, and is generally rather "dirty" way. using
special package names like "parted-reiser4" is much clear anyhow, what is more,
you can easily run your local repo with r4-patched kernels/tools/libs, and it
will be the most clear of obvious way for the enduser to keep all this stuff
upgraded without worrying whether it's r4-patched stuff or not. this would be a
perfect variant, i think. user just install "linux-....-reiser4",
"parted-...-reiser4" and "whatever-....-reiser4", and you just build new
packages from time to time, and everyone have their stuff updated usual way.